Pro-D Day on the Harrison River - Oct. 2010

Saturday, December 4, 2010

4 Days to Go!! (in LTT, that is)

Hi there all my friends in the blogosphere! I hope your chosen profession is chugging away as successfully as mine is right now. I have completed two of the three major projects I was working on in the last few weeks: 1) report cards are done and out to my students' parents and 2) I have finished editing our salmon spawning video for EcoKids down to 2 minutes; it looks pretty cool, everybody I've shown it to at school loves it! Now I have to solve a wee technical hurdle, that is getting it burned onto a DVD to send to Toronto so they can put it on the EcoKids website. Two tries at burning successfully and counting!

One of my students posted something very cool to our Edmodo network last week. He posted a link to a TED-talk video showing an 11 year-old boy talking about all the problems with our industrial food production and distribution system - factory farms, polluted farmland, etc. This is a great example of how I had hoped my Grade 4 students (only 8 or 9 years old) would interact with our network - by posting resources their classmates could learn from. Several of his classmates have viewed the 5 minute video and responded to it. Here is the link: TED Talk about the food system

Another student showed us a website she was using to research the salmon for our video. On it, she found the etymology of the word "salmon"; it comes from a Latin word "salmo" which means "leaper". Makes sense, eh? I encouraged the rest of the class to post other things they found interesting. Just this morning, a girl posted the link to another EcoKids video from a class that won the 2010 EcoKids Challenge by producing a video about their recycling program. Well done! Here is that link: 2010 Great EcoKids Challenge Champion video.

So I've got lots of evidence I can use for my comprehensive portfolio for my last LTT presentation next Wednesday, 4 days from now. Got to go work on it - bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment