Pro-D Day on the Harrison River - Oct. 2010

Friday, September 17, 2010

Oh, For the Life of a Spider!

This morning, as I was tending my garden, trying to prevent my tomatoe plants from being overcome by blight (the black death), I found a huge spider web under construction, suspended between an 8-foot tall sunflower and a cherry tree branch, way over my head. So of course I had to grab my new video camera to record the amazing technology of a spider's work (even though it was already later than I usually leave for school). My first attempt at up-close nature videography. Have a look. Feel free to show it in your classes if you want.


Pretty amazing technology, using a filament in your body to make a net to catch your food! I hope my students will be as fascinated as I am when I show this to them next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment